Last night we had the first dinner in our new dining room. It was perfect timing since my mom got home from her mission yesterday and stayed with us last night. This is the latest phase in our game of Musical Rooms/Extreme Home Makeover. Once we got Matthew's room finished downstairs we started the process of converting his old room into a dining room. We are pretty sure it was once a bedroom but the previous owners took out the closet and put in french doors that open into the living room. Most of the homes in our neighborhood have little if any eating space in the kitchens and this was their solution to the problem. It is now ours as well since meals in the kitchen had become essentially intolerable. We were so crammed around the table that we ended up just eating and getting out of there as fast as possible. Having friends or family over for dinner was almost out of the question.
Thursday night Bruce stayed up way too late setting up the table and chairs. We got the table at a "Seize the Day" sale at Ikea last October. It has been sitting in the box until last night. The room is not done - we are doing a small makeover on a good but slightly dated chandelier donated by a friend (although I love what Bruce has done with the current light fixture), I've got some ideas for curtains and decor, and we will probably put in a buffet that has been in my mom's storage shed for a few years. But even though there is still much to be done, dinner with a little elbow room was a whole new world. We actually lingered afterward. I was fairly giddy about it all night.
And the bonus - I don't have to look at the mess in the kitchen while I eat!
3 comments:
Wow! Congratulations on the elbow room! I can't wait to see a picture of the finished room. It will be fabulous! Oh, and congratulations on your mom's mission completion. I'm sure your so glad to have her home!
It's looking really nice! Looks great for Canasta!!
I love it! I need to come over and see it!
Post a Comment