Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Stranger Danger FHE

A few weeks ago, I was chatting with a friend and asked her if she had any good Family Home Evening ideas. She told me that her kids' favorite was their Stranger Danger FHE. We had talked to our kids about strangers, but had never done a formal sit-down kind of thing. So I decided we would do our own Stranger Danger FHE, and it looks like it is going to be a favorite at our house too. Matthew is already asking for a repeat performance. Since it was one of our more successful FHE's, I thought I would share.

We started with a little slide show with pictures of family and friends and also pictures of strangers. (My friend did this portion with family photos and pictures from magazine. I kind of liked the slide show route since we can use it over and over without more paper to store.) For each slide, the kids had to answer the question "Is this a stanger?" Some of the strangers looked scary and some of them looked nice to illustrate the concept that anyone you don't is a stranger regardless of how they look.

We went over some stranger danger rules. The kids especially like practicing the one where they get to scream, kick and even bite if someone tries to grab them. Then we did some role play scenarios. Finally, we read "The Berenstain Bears Learn About Stangers".

Although I didn't do this, an idea that I got from the Berenstain Bears book was to make a treat that looked really yummy, but tasted terrible - again to illustrate that you can't judge something/someone just by appearances. Perhaps some chocolate chip cookies using way too much salt. Since Matthew wants to do this lesson again next week, I'll probably try it then. (I'll make some good cookies too of course.)

Click here to download the slideshow. I took out our family pictures, but left in the strangers. Hope somebody else can get some use out of it.

(It is saved in MS PowerPoint 97/xp/2000 format. If you don't have PowerPoint, you can download Open Office as I did. Perhaps I'll do a quick post about Open Office since it would make Bruce oh-so-happy.)

1 comment:

Jes said...

what a good idea, I am going to do this with our family. Thanks for sharing the idea.