First, is something I have wanted to do for several years, but never quite got it together. It is something my mom did several times for my brother and me when we were growing up. It is really simple actually. She glued Hershey's Kisses to a ribbon and hung it on the wall. We ate one Kiss a day until the big day. Here is my version. I used a velvet ribbon, mostly because that is what my mom used, but also because it is sturdy enough to hold the weight of 25 Kisses. I used a hot glue gun and it is working pretty well, but the Kisses are a little hard to get off and it leaves a bit of the wrapper on the ribbon. I think next year I will try Elmer's.
Second, is the Advent calendar. It is a really cute one, but the little compartments came empty so it falls upon me to figure out how to fill them. Taking a cue from Amy at The Idea Room, I have printed a list of Christmas related activities and put one in the calendar each day sometime before Spencer gets home from school. Once he is home all the kids open the door together - they physically open it together. This is what they came up with to make it fair. This method works well because I am not committed to anything ahead of time. Like tonight we had a piano lesson, an evening trip to Target (picked up more short wrapping paper by the way), and Bruce had his garage band over. So I threw "Watch the Grinch" in there and we were set for an ever popular, yet very easy Christmas activity. Also, if something last minute comes up I can add it in. We would do most of these things anyway, but finding out about them through the Advent calendar seems to add an element of excitement for the kids. Here are some of the other items from our calendar...- Write letters to Santa Claus.
- Take a drive to see Christmas lights.
- Go see the lights at Temple Square.
- Watch “A Charlie Brown Christmas”.
- Read the Christmas story from the Bible and set up the Nativity.
- Act out the Nativity scene.
- Make Christmas cookies.
- Make gingerbread houses.
- Camp out in front of the Christmas tree.
- Clean out old toys and donate to Deseret Industries.
- Go to the store and buy a new toy to donate to Toys for Tots.
- Watch “Rudolph”.
- Watch “Frosty” shows.
- Make a treat and secretly deliver them to two friends.
- Talk about Jesus with our family.
- Do a secret service for someone in our family or neighborhood.
- Sing Christmas carols together.
- Play a game and eat a treat in front of a fire in the fireplace.
- Read the Christmas story in the Book of Mormon.
- Have hot chocolate with candy canes.
- Do a Christmas craft.
- Watch Polar Express.
Finally, I wrapped all of our Christmas books, placed them under the tree, and we are unwrapping one each night. Last year, the boys read a few of their favorites over and over, but there were several I couldn't get them to listen to. This way, each book gets at least one night of glory and I make sure that they are exposed to more of the messages I want them to hear. Again, just wrapping the books and rationing them makes them so much more alluring.So far all three countdowns are working out well. The boys go straight to the Kisses each morning (Emmarsyn gets around to hers eventually), the Advent calendar is the after school priority, and we unwrap a book after dinner so Bruce can join us. So even though there are three different things going on, the rountine of it all actually seems to be making the Christmas festivities run a bit smoother.
No comments:
Post a Comment