Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Poisonwood Bible

The Poisonwood Bible The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
Loved it! It was one of those books that required my husband to take over for most of a Sunday so I could just finish it and get back to my real life. I became quite attached to the principle characters/narrators. Even the self-absorbed Rachel was endearing until she got old enough that she should have known better. The multiple points of view on race, religion, sisterhood, motherhood, love, and just surviving were fascinating. The character development was wonderful. The overwhelming beauty of Africa was well juxtaposed with the daily hardships and horror endured by the people at the hands of the land and those that ruled it. I was satisfied with the ending but am left with a craving to learn more about the Congo and its history.


View all my reviews.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Cool! I'll have to add it to my bookshelf on Good Reads.