Monday, June 29, 2009

The Doughnut Conundrum

The doughnut conundrum stemmed from our decision to hold Family Home Evening on Sunday nights instead of Monday nights. Between t-ball games and baseball practices we could no longer even pretend that FHE was going to happen on Mondays. All was going well until Spencer wanted doughnuts for the treat last week. We don't shop on Sundays, nobody wanted day old doughnuts, and I am afraid of yeast - hence the conundrum. As I pondered the situation, I recalled a friend mentioning that they made "doughnuts" with refrigerated biscuit dough. So I got a couple of cans and last night we gave it a shot. I must say it was awesome. They were fun, easy, yummy, the perfect size, and there's not much cuter than miniature doughnut holes. The only part that added a little extra effort and clean up was the request for glazed and chocolate donuts as well as powdered sugar and cinnamon sugar donut holes. But since the rest was so simple, I felt I could oblige.

Here are a few pictures of the process and the results. (It wasn't my best work aesthetically, but I am getting over strep throat so I was just thrilled that it happened and that everybody loved them.)


A couple of tips if you try this: make sure the oil is very hot so they don't get greasy - ours ended up being around 400 degrees; watch them closely - they took only 15-20 seconds to cook; using the spoon-like spatula really helped with the holes since they had to be put in separately and gathered up within about about 10 seconds.


2 comments:

Annette said...

ok. so do you just use the refrigerator biscuits.. the homestyle or buttermilk ones? or something else?

Looks SO easy!!

Merrimom said...

Cool!!! I love it!