Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fool's Day Juice

I like to trick my kids at least a little bit on April Fool's Day. Last night I made apple juice gelatin and poured it in juice glasses. With the addition of a straw, it looked exactly like regular apple juice. Spencer enjoyed it the most. He was the only one that actually picked up the juice to drink it and couldn't get anything through the straw. Matthew and Emmarsyn moved the straws first and discovered it that way. There was a lot of giggling from the boys . Not so much Em - I should have let her sleep, but made the mistake of getting her up to enjoy the prank. Newsflash to me - sleepy 4 year olds do not enjoy pranks. Overall it was very fun and easy - always a great combination.

Juice Gelatin
2 cups juice (divided)
1 packet unflavored gelatin (Knox)
1 T sugar (optional)

Sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold (mine was room temp) juice. Boil 1 1/2 cups juice. Add hot juice to cold juice and gelatin. Add sugar. Stir until completely dissolved - up to 5 minutes. Pour into juice glasses and add a straw. Chill until firm.

(I ended up making a second batch to fill up four glasses. So maybe just double it up front.)

No comments: